Apple picking season is upon us and with that comes the need to find recipes to make with apples. I personally love pork chops with apples and onions, it’s a delicious combination and the perfect cold weather meal. This instant pot pork chop recipe is an easy to make dinner meal idea that won’t take hours to create. This is the perfect recipe idea to use up some of those apples from your apple picking adventure.
To make Instant Pot Pork Chop and Apple Recipe you will need the following ingredients: thick cut boneless pork chops, olive oil, apples, red onion, chicken stock, dried thyme, brown sugar, butter, salt and pepper.
Apples and pork chops are a fairly decent combination any time of year, but I think this instant pot pork recipe is best made during the fall season when apples are ripest. Parents will find that pork chops with apples are a kid-friendly meal idea for any family sit down dinner time. Kids tend to enjoy something that has a little bit of a sweet flavor to it, while parents may prefer the flavorful combination of both apples with onion.
Using your instant pot to make this instant pot pork chop recipe will help save you time when it comes to those busy school season nights. I love having instant pot recipes to share for busy parents everywhere. Mixing the apples with onions provides you with the perfect balance of sweet and slightly bitter. This dish will be a family favorite for both flavor and minimal time involved in making it.
Tips to Making Instant Pot Pork Chops and Apples
- Remember that the cooking time doesn’t include the time it takes to come up to pressure . This varies by altitude. At my high altitude this can often be at least 20 minutes.
- You can substitute 2 tablespoons of molasses per cup of brown sugar for a different flavor.
- Add some nutmeg or cinnamon for a little extra flavoring.
- Do a natural release rather than a quick release when the instant pot is done cooking your recipe. This helps the meat retain it’s own juices better.
- Spread this dish over a plate of mashed potatoes for a complete meal.
- Increase cooking time by 20 minutes if you want the pork so tender it falls apart.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Love
Recipes That Would Go Well With Apple Onion Pork Chops
- Simple Green Salad
- Black & White Bean Salad
- Parmesan Roasted Vegetables
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- The Best Potato Rolls
- Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Dill Glazed Carrots
- Oven Roasted Potatoes and Mushrooms
Instant Pot Apple Onion Pork Chops
This Instant Pot Pork Chop and Apple recipe is the perfect quick-meal idea for a busy evening with family. The perfect sweet taste of apples brings a flavorful burst to your taste buds.
If you loved this Instant Pot Pork Chops and Apples recipe let me know with a 5 star rating!
- 4 thick boneless pork chops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 to 5 apples, cored and sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Heat pressure cooker on saute until “hot.” Salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops very well. Add oil to pressure cooker. Add pork chops and cook until seared, about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. (If you attempt to move the pork chops and they stick, cook a little longer. The pork chops will release when the searing is complete.) Remove and keep warm.
- Add the chicken stock to the pressure cooker and whisk to remove the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add pork chops back to pressure cooker. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon dried thyme. Add apples and onions. Sprinkle with brown sugar and remaining thyme. Dot with butter.
- Cover and set the valve to sealing. Cook on manual or pressure cook setting for 10 minutes. Carefully use quick release to depressurize the cooker. Serve pork chops covered with apples and onions.