Bursting with a variety of Keto-friendly flavors, textures, and colors, these Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowls will fill your stomach and your senses. From the pepper jack-infused mashed cauliflower base to the crispy, skin-on chicken thighs, the flavor combinations are nearly endless.
To make Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowls, you will need: Chicken thighs, shredded pepper jack cheese, chicken bone broth, avocados, tomatillos, cherry tomatoes, serrano peppers, yellow peppers, cilantro, cumin, chilli powder, cayenne, and salt.
Is there anything more satisfying than a bowl of chicken soup on a cold or rainy day? Yes, the only thing more comforting is this Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowl. It’s bursting with so many southwestern flavors, you’ll feel like a real pro at Mexican food once you make it.
These soup bowls are really easy to make. The most effort you’ll put into this recipe is chopping up the veggies. One of the best parts about this dish is the end product looks like it took a lot of effort when really, it didn’t take much effort at all. You’re going to love this dinner idea!
Table of Contents
How Do You Make Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowl?
Steam the cauliflower, mash with the pepper jack cheese. Heat a cast-iron skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Rub the chicken with the salt and spices, add to the hot oil, skin side down. Cook until 165, about 6-8 minutes per side.
While chicken is cooking, sauté the tomatillos in a tablespoon of butter, do the same with the sliced peppers. Slice the serranos into coins, and the avocados into eighths. Heat the broth on the stovetop or in a microwave.
For each bowl, place a large dollop of the cauliflower mixture in the middle, top with a sliced chicken thigh, then arrange the vegetables beside it. Ladle a cup of hot broth into each bowl, garnish with cilantro, and serve.
Tips To Making Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowl
- If you use frozen cauliflower or if you wash your cauliflower right before using it, you may need to ring the excess water out of it before mashing it with the cheese. You can either pat it with a paper towel or lay it in the paper towel (a cheesecloth works also) and give it a good squeeze. It doesn’t have to be perfectly dry, just have enough moisture out of it that it won’t be watery when mashed and added to the bowls.
- If you’re not careful, the skin of the chicken will stick to your pan, causing your chicken to look aesthetically unpleasant. The olive oil should keep this from happening but, if your pan is prone to sticking no matter what, you may end up losing some of the chicken skin.
Commonly Asked Questions About Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowl
What Does Deconstructed Mean?
This means that the various parts of a recipe aren’t as uniform and organized as usual. The different parts of the recipe are separated out from each other and placed in a bowl resembling a recipe you might get at KFC where they mix all your favorite ingredients in a bowl with mashed potatoes. In this case, the mashed potatoes are swapped out for mashed cauliflower instead, making it still delicious but, Keto-friendly. So, there are no special cooking steps you have to take or that you might not know about when it comes to deconstructed recipes, just a slightly different way to lump the ingredients together.
What Yellow Peppers Can I use?
Usually, when yellow peppers are called for, it’s your basic, run of the mill, yellow bell peppers. However, banana peppers or sweet peppers will do the trick as well without taking away the added flavor. In fact, sweet peppers and banana peppers may even add more of a flavor if that’s the route you would like to go. Just remember, these two types of peppers will be spicier and add more spice to your dish than bell peppers will.
Other Soup Recipes You May Like
- Crockpot French Onion Soup
- Macaroni and Cheese Soup
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowl
I guarantee that you and your family are going to love this Keto Southwestern Deconstructed Chicken Soup Bowl. It takes little effort to make a delicious dinner that’s healthy for everyone. Not to mention, it’s a unique recipe that’s great for mixing up dinner ideas in general.
If you loved this Keto Southwestern Chicken Soup Bowl let me know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 chicken thighs with skin on
- 6-8 oz. pepper jack, shredded
- 32 oz. chicken bone broth
- 2 avocados
- 3-4 tomatillos
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 Serrano peppers
- Cilantro to garnish
- 1/2 t. Cumin
- 1 t. Chili Powder
- 1/8 t. Cayenne Powder
- 1/2 t. Salt
1. Steam the cauliflower, mash with the pepper jack cheese.
2. Heat a cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
3. Rub the chicken with the salt and spices, add to the hot oil, skin side down.
4. Cook until 165, about 6-8 minutes per side.
5. While chicken is cooking, sauté the tomatillos in a tablespoon of butter, do the same with the sliced peppers.
6. Slice the serranos into coins, and the avocados into eights.
7. Heat the broth on the stovetop or in a microwave.
8. For each bowl, place a large dollop of the cauliflower in the middle, top with a sliced chicken thigh then arrange the vegetables beside it.
9. Ladle a cup of hot broth into each bowl, garnish with cilantro, and serve.