This simple Chicken Fajita Recipe is a great choice for any easy weeknight meal. The great flavors in this seasoning blend are so much better than the packets you buy in store. With bright fresh flavors, you’ll be surprised at how much better these taste than what you’ve been making.
A huge bonus of this chicken fajita recipe is the lack of sodium. While it does include a bit of salt in the soy sauce, it won’t be nearly as bad as the packaged seasoning blends you are use to. That makes it a much healthier option the entire family will enjoy.
To marinate your chicken, I recommend adding the meat to a gallon Ziploc bag that has been double bagged to protect from leaks. This makes cleanup much easier, and is simple to place on the shelf in your refrigerator. You need to marinade for at least 2-3 hours, but you can easily prep this blend and freeze your chicken in the marinade for future use. I love prepping meals ahead like that for a fast thaw and prepare dinner!
This chicken fajita recipe is going to become a favorite of the whole family. This can be served over a salad for those watching their carbohydrates, or in a corn or homemade flour tortilla. We enjoy some salsa, guacamole, cheese and even a bit of sour cream on ours. Serve yours with all of your family favorite additions and enjoy a delicious and healthy meal that is easy to prepare for any weeknight meal.
Easy Weeknight Chicken Fajita Recipe
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke – this is the secret ingredient ( it’s worth it to have a bottle of hand just for this!)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red (or orange) pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon lime juice (a quick squeeze of a cut lime)
- dash of salt and pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade ingredients over the top. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours.
- After marinading, take chicken out of the bag and discard the marinade.
- Grill or broil the chicken 5-7 minutes per side . Remove from grill or pan and tent with foil to keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add the onion and peppers.
- Stir fry until softened but still crisp tender. Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Slice chicken thinly on the diagonal and toss with the vegetables in the skillet. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with flour tortillas and your favorite fajita fixings.