One thing my house doesn’t run out of is tortillas. They have so many uses and are a family favorite for various reasons. Not only do they taste great but they sure do make into a meal in a hurry! The whole household prefers this homemade flour tortilla recipe to store bought any day. Tortillas can be a bit intimidating at first but I promise they are really easy to make and you won’t be disappointed in the flavor! I recommend making a double batch because you can’t eat just one.
12 Uses For Flour Tortillas
Easy Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
Homemade Tortilla Chips
Grilled Cheeseburger Wraps
Copycat Taco Bell Crunch Wraps
Homemade Flour Tortilla Recipe
- 2 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 TBSP lard
- 1 1/2 C warm water
- Add the dry ingredients together. Flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the lard.
- Work it with your hands into very fine small pieces of grain.
- Add the warm water to the above mix.
- Working with your hands again, combine all of the ingredients.
- Dump the batter onto a floured wooden cutting board.
- Roll out with a floured rolling pin.
- Work the dough back and forth allowing it to breathe until it appears smooth.
- Cut the dough into numerous equal sized squares.
- Roll these squared into balls.
- Pull out your cast iron skillet and add a small amount of oil on medium hot heat.
- With a floured rolling pin, take one dough ball and begin to roll out into a circle.
- You can use your hands to shape it into that circle.
- Place that freshly formed dough circle into the heated skillet and watch until the first side turns a golden brown color.
- Flip the tortilla unto the other side to also become a golden brown color.
- Wrap in foil to keep warm until all dough balls are fried.
What is your families favorite uses for flour tortillas? Have you ever tried to make homemade flour tortillas?