It’s that time of year again, where many will be looking for the best icing for decorating cookies. I’m pleased to say that I have mastered this sugar cookie icing without milk recipe so that you can decorate easy sugar cookies with your kids.
This time of year so many families grab up some recipes and cookie decorating icing to get some Christmas treats created. These Christmas cookies can be enjoyed by Santa, the family or brought to feasts with the extended family. Please note that this icing is not the kind that you see on videos that will fill in and be shiny when hardened.
It’s a basic frosting to decorate sugar cookies with that the children will enjoy using.
To make Sugar Cookie Icing with Cream Cheese you will need the following ingredients: cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, milk (optional), food coloring.
How Do You Make Homemade Frosting For Sugar Cookies
Making homemade frosting for sugar cookies is so easy! This recipe only has 3 main ingredients plus your coloring.
In a large mixing bowl, combine your cream cheese and softened butter and mix until creamy.
Slowly mix in your powdered sugar and vanilla extract until evenly mixed.
Separate your frosting into smaller bowls and mix each bowl of frosting with a few drops of food coloring.
Scoop into a decorating bag bag or leave in the bowls to frost the cookies.
Tips & Tricks to Making Cookie Decorating Icing
Below are my favorite tips to making cookie decorating icing.
- I mostly use almond for my icing flavors, however in this recipe you can use any extract flavor you like. Strawberry today and coffee flavored tomorrow.
- You can use cookie decorating icing to create adorable decor on a gingerbread house or cookies for the holiday season.
- Generally speaking, you can store this cookie decorating icing for about one week, after that you’ll soon see the ingredients separating which means it’s time to toss it out.
- You can store cookie decorating icing in an airtight bowl, you may want to blend or mix it up when you go to use it again if not using it fresh.
- You can use this cookie decorating icing as a way to write words on a cake.
- Be sure to use this cookie decorating icing as soon as possible to keep it from hardening before you’re able to decorate your sugar cookies.
- Did you know you can freeze cookie decorating icing? It’s possible when frozen in airtight container. I let it thaw in the fridge and re-whip before using.
- If your icing for decorating cookies is a bit to thick you can add a tablespoon of milk at a time to thin it down.
Common Questions About Sugar Cookie Decorating Icings
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the variety of Cookie Decorating Icings:
How do you store Royal Icing overnight?
Store any un-used cookie decorating icing in an airtight container overnight with a damp paper towel or plastic wrap placed directly over your cookie decorating icing. Be sure you give your cookie decorating icing plenty of time to get to room temperature before using the next day.
How do you store decorated cookies?
There are many ways you can store decorated cookies, but the best way is to store them in their own cellphane bag or in a layered fashion with plastic wrap placed gently on top of the decorated cookies. You can store them at room temperature overnight or in the refrigerator for up to one week.
What kind of icing is the best to decorate sugar cookies with?
This depends on what look you’re wanting to achieve. With the kids I prefer this icing recipe because it tastes wonderful and is easy to decorate with sprinkles as well. Many professionals will use a royal icing, however I don’t find that to be the best when decorating cookies with the kids. A thinned out royal icing or an icing made with corn syrup will give you that shiny glass like look that is popular in most videos.
Recipes That Work Well With Our Best Tasting Sugar Cookie Icing
These other recipes work wonders with our families favorite tasting sugar cookie icing. When it comes to using up extra sugar cookie icing one has to think outside of the box and the last 4 tips are my favorite!
- Grandma’s Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Funfetti Rice Krispy Treats – sub out homemade frosting for the topping
- As a topping for our Christmas Eve Rusk Cookies
- Top graham crackers with icing like I’ve done on these Valentine’s Day Treats
- Leftover icing is amazing on top of your favorite brownie recipe
- Prepackaged rice krispie treats beg to be topped with a bit of extra icing for a special after school snack
- Warm leftover icing in the microwave and dip pretzel rods in it
Helpful Tools To Make The Best Icing For Decorating Cookies
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Best Tasting Cookie Decorating Icing
This simple to make cream cheese cookie decorating icing will allow you to enjoy decorating Christmas sugar cookies with the kids this holiday season.
If you loved this cookie decorating icing let me know with a 5 star rating!