You know when you find an appetizer that’s so good you don’t want to share?
Well, this is that appetizer for me!
The recipe for my favorite appetizer recipe of all time comes from my aunt. I request this make ahead cold crab dip every holiday and even my wedding. My aunt is so amazing, she whipped up a batch big enough for 300 people and I literally wasn’t able to lick the bowl at the end of the night…ask my husband… because I may have tried.
The ingredients needed for this make ahead cold crab dip are easy to get your hands on and the use of imitation crab makes this recipe affordable. It’s the perfect easy dip for the game days since it has to be made in advance to let all of the flavors combine. That means I can make it the day before, and all I have to do when guests arrive is pull it out and serve with some RITZ crackers!
To make this make ahead cold crab dip you will need the following ingredients: sour cream, cream cheese, green chilies, imitation crab meat, green onions and lemon juice.
I really love being able to share a simple and timeless recipe like this that my aunt passed down to me. It has all the classic creamy flavors I want, and is simple to prepare so it makes it a great choice for any party I attend or host. If you have a large crowd coming over for your big game party this year, I recommend making a double batch.
It will be gone in a flash!
How To Make A Cold Crab Dip With Cream Cheese
Whip sour cream and cream cheese together.
Add remaining ingredients (start with a small squirt of lemon juice) and mix well.
Chill to let flavors combine.
Serve with your favorite crackers like RITZ.
Tips to Making A Cold Crab Dip With Cream Cheese
- You can make this cold crab dip with cream cheese a day in advance.
- The nature of this cold crab dip with cream cheese and mayo doesn’t make it agreeable to freezing.
- This crab dip with sour cream and cream cheese will stay good for about 5 days when stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To soften cream cheese quickly I microwave on 40% power in multiple increments of 30 seconds.
Common Questions About Cold Crab Dip Recipes
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about cold crab dip recipes:
Can you make crab dip ahead of time?
Yes! That’s one of the reasons I love this imitation crab dip. It can be made a day in advance which really helps free up your time the day of your party or gathering.
How do you make an easy crab dip?
I think this cold crab dip is one of the easiest recipes. By using imitation crab for this seafood dip recipe the ingredients are affordable and available at any grocery store.
How do you make spicy crab dip?
The beauty about this imitation crab dip recipe is that you can control the heat! I generally use mild green chilies, however, you can kick the heat up a notch by using hot green chilies.
Other Imitation Crab Recipes To Make
- Crab Grilled Cheese with Avocado
- Crab Rangoon Dip with Wonton Chips
- Cream Cheese Wontons
- Imitation Crab Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Imitation Crab Cakes with Cajun Seasoning
Dipping Options That Go Well With A Cold Crab Dip
- Ritz Crackers
- Mini Carrots
- Pretzel Rods
- Pita Chips
- Cucumber Slices
- Homemade Tortilla Chips
- Bite Size Pieces of French Bread
- Mini Peppers Split in Half
Make Ahead Cold Crab Dip With Imitation Crab
I really love being able to share a simple and timeless recipe like this that my aunt passed down to me. It has all the classic creamy flavors I want, and is simple to prepare so it makes it a great choice for any party I attend or host.
If you loved this imitation crab dip recipe let me know with a 5 star rating!
- 16 oz sour cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, make sure cream cheese is really soft or it will have lumps
- 1 can chopped green chilies of your heat preference
- 1 pkg imitation crab meat from the deli, chopped up
- 2 green onions
- Lemon juice for taste
- Whip sour cream and cream cheese together.
- Add remaining ingredients (start with a small squirt of lemon juice) and mix well.
- Chill to let flavors combine.
- Serve with your favorite crackers like RITZ.