Telling the kids they get to eat a cupcake for dinner like these Mashed Potato Cupcakes from Farmer’s Wife Rambles always goes over better than just mashed potatoes. The same goes for these Sloppy Joes in a Pocket. While my husband and boys love sloppy joes telling them they get to eat theirs in a pocket is always met with more enthusiasm than just sloppy joes.
Not only do the kids enjoy them more because they are in a pocket but often times mom does as well because the mess is really contained! Talk about taking the sloppy out of sloppy joes! I also like things in a pocket because they are freezer friendly. You can either make these, bake them and freeze them individually for a quick microwave meal on the go OR like I do I freeze them unbaked. I make a couple batch of extras when I make these and freeze them on a cookie sheet unbaked. When I’m in a rush for a meal I can take how many out I need and pop onto a cookie sheet and bake. I do allow a little extra time in the oven since I’m baking from frozen and I generally make sure they are in the oven during the preheat stage as well to kind of “thaw” them if you will.
Sloppy Joes In A Pocket
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 ⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 ⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3 ⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can of 8 refrigerated biscuits
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30
- minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press each biscuit into 6-inch round. Spoon 1/3 cup meat mixture and about 1 tablespoon cheese onto center of each round.
- Fold dough in half over filling; use a fork to seal. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 9 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
Are your kids more likely to eat something just because it’s in a pocket? Besides sloppy joes what are other things you love to eat in pocket form?