Vitamix is a brand of high-speed blender. They pride themselves on the superior and commercial quality of their blenders. They are designed to be irreplaceable in everyday use. The blenders are heavy and very durable.
The Vitamix blenders have a large blending container that allows the user to make large batches of soup or smoothies. They are quite expensive but have an impressive build quality and are covered by a long warranty period.
The motor is at a minimum of 2 horsepower, meaning that it can handle even the toughest of blending jobs. The motor is so powerful that it actually heats up the food in the container as it is blending – perfect for soups.
What are the main differences?
The Explorian series is a more basic and older range of the Vitamix blenders, introduced in 2017. The Ascent series is much newer and has a slightly more powerful motor (2.2 hp compared to the Explorian’s 2.0 hp).
The Ascent blender has Bluetooth connectivity. This means that it can be linked up to an app on a smartphone or other electronic device which can control the blending functions. It also has a slightly longer warranty. The Explorian models are significantly cheaper than the Ascent range.
The Explorian range is all of the quality you would expect from the Vitamix brand but at the cheapest prices possible. It is a more basic alternative to the Ascent range but will still do an amazing job.
The Explorian Vitamix is also referred to as the E310 and the E320. There is a 10 speed dial to choose specifically between blending actions. It also has a start/stop and pulse setting.
- Variable Speed Control: Ten variable speeds allow you to refine every texture with culinary precision, from the smoothest purées to the heartiest soups
- Pulse Feature: Layer coarse chops over smooth purées for heartier recipes, such as chunky salsas or thick vegetable soups.
- The 48-ounce container is ideal for blending medium batches for small family meals. Cutting blades measuring 3-inch diameter to ensure a consistent blend every time. Electrical Ratings-120 V
- Hardened Stainless-Steel Blades: Our aircraft-grade stainless steel blades are designed to handle the toughest ingredients, so from the first blend to the last, you get the same quality results. Cord length: 4.5 feet
- Self-Cleaning: With a drop of dish soap and warm water, your Vitamix machine can clean itself in 30 to 60 seconds. What's in the Box: motor base, 48 oz. container, mini-tamper, cookbook
- E320 Machine with 2.2 Peak HP Motor
- 64 oz Low Profile BPA-Free Tritan Container
- 10 Variable Speeds + Pulse Feature
- 7 Year Warranty
- Included components: Motor base Low-Profile 64 oz BPA-Free container Cookbook Owner’s Manual
This is the only range of Vitamix blenders that comes with wireless connectivity, self-detect containers, and a range of accessories. The app is suitable for both Android and Apple users.
The models in this range are the A2300, A2500, A3300, and A3500. There are 10 variable speed functions, alongside a programmable timer, pre-installed programs, and a pulse function.
- You're in Control: Variable Speed Control and Pulse feature let you manually fine-tune the texture of any recipe
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity: The motor base will automatically adjust the maximum blending times for the container size you’ve chosen. Add a range of compatible container sizes, building a customized blending system designed to fit your needs.
- Pair with the Vitamix Perfect Blend AppUnlock your blender's full potential with 17 programs and 500+ recipes with the iOS + Android app. Electrical Ratings: 120 Volts, 50-60 Hz, 12 Amps
- A built-in digital timer removes the guesswork with recipes you process manually, helping you achieve the perfect texture every time. Cord- 4 feet
- Low-Profile 64-ounce Container: Perfect for family meals and entertaining, while fitting comfortably under most kitchen cabinets.
- Program settings: three program settings for smoothies, hot Soup, and frozen desserts, ensure walk-away convenience and consistent results.
- You're in control: variable speed control and pulse feature let you fine-tune the texture of any recipe.
- Built-in wireless connectivity: the motor base is able to read the container size you?ve chosen and automatically adjust program settings and maximum blending times accordingly.
- Digital timer: a built-in digital timer removes the guesswork with recipes you process manually, helping you achieve the perfect texture every time. Electrical Ratings- 120 V, 50-60 Hz, 12 Amps
- Pair with any self-detect containers: add a range of compatible container sizes, building a customized blending system designed to fit your needs.Cord: 4 ft. Use - Household
- You're in control: variable speed control and pulse feature let you manually Fine-tune the texture of any recipe
- Built-in wireless connectivity: The motor base will automatically adjust the maximum blending times for the container size you’ve chosen. Add a range of compatible container sizes, building a customized blending system designed to fit your needs.
- Programmable timer a built-in digital timer helps avoid over- or under-processing your custom recipes. Set the timer to the length of your blend, and it will turn the machine off automatically.
- Touch interface: touchscreen controls give the machine a sleek silhouette and are easily wiped clean.
- Pair with the Vitamix perfect blend app unlock your blender's full potential with 17 programs and 500+ recipes with the iOS + Android app.
- Program Settings: Five program settings (for Smoothies, Hot Soups, Dips & Spreads, Frozen Desserts, and Self-Cleaning) ensure walk-away convenience and consistent results. The A3500 pairs with the Vitamix Perfect Blend App: Unlock the Ascent Series A3500's full potential with 17 programs and 500+ recipes with the iOS + Android app.
- Touchscreen Controls give the machine a sleek silhouette and are easily wiped clean.Electrical Ratings - 120 V, 50-60 Hz, 12 Amps. Cord: 4 feet. HP: 2.2-peak
- You're in Control: Variable Speed Control and Pulse feature let you manually fine-tune the texture of any recipe
- Built-In Wireless Connectivity: The motor base is able to read the container size you’ve chosen and automatically adjust program settings and maximum blending times accordingly. Add a range of compatible container sizes, building a customized blending system designed to fit your needs.
- Programmable Timer: A built-in timer helps avoid over- or under-processing your custom recipes. Set the timer to the length of your blend, and it will turn the machine off automatically. What's in the Box: motor base, low-profile 64 oz. container, low-profile classic tamper, Simply Blending Cookbook
There are a range of preprogrammed settings for different functions. These can include smoothies, dips and spreads, self-cleaning, hot soups, and frozen desserts.
Variable Speed Control
This setting allows you to control the blending speed of the Vitamix. This means that you can refine the cutting quality – for chunky salsas or a smooth and creamy hummus. They have 10 different settings so that you can refine the blend quality to what you need.
This is not found on all Ascent models, only the A3300 and A3500. It gives these models a more luxurious look and a sleek feel. They are super easy to clean and use.
This setting combines coarse chopping methods with a smooth pureeing function. This makes the perfect blend mode for thick and chunky winter soups.
The digital timer allows you to control the length of time your blender is working for. This will prevent you from over or under blending your food. It will automatically shut off once the desired blending time has elapsed.
This is found on all Ascent models. The A3300 and A3500 both have a touch programmable timer.
This is a new setting that allows you to use any of the compatible Vitamix containers. The blender will automatically register which container is in use and change the settings accordingly.
The warranty period on all Vitamix blenders covers workmanship or material defects and normal wear and tear. This warranty guarantees that the blender will be repaired, replaced, or refunded within 30 days of the company receiving the blender.
It does not cover cosmetic issues or blenders that are used for commercial purposes. If the owner disregards the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings, the warranty period is void.
Vitamix will cover all parts, performance, labor, and shipping both ways at no expense to the consumer.
Explorian: 5 years
Ascent: 10 years
The traditional color of a Vitamix blender is black, although they come in a variety of colors. The newer Ascent range has a wider range of colors, meaning that you can match your Vitamix to the design of your kitchen.
Explorian: Black, red, slate
Ascent: Black, black stainless metal, brushed stainless metal, copper, red, slate, white
Both blenders are very similar in size and weight. They weigh about 10.5 – 15 pounds and take up the same amount of countertop space. They are durable and tough, powerful enough to take on any task.
The power cords are between 4 and 4.5 feet long. This means that it is long enough to be accessible from anywhere.
Explorian: 11 x 8 x 18 inches
Ascent: 11 x 8 x 17 inches
There is only one attachment suitable for the Explorian series of the Vitamix. This limits the blending capacity with this series. In comparison, the Ascent series will allow you to use a wide variety of blending attachments for different purposes.
Explorian: Personal cup adapter (suitable for 20 oz cup containers)
Ascent: Food processor, 8 oz bowl containers, 20 oz cup containers
There are a variety of containers suitable for each Vitamix blender. The Ascent series is compatible with the larger 64 oz container and is equipped with self-detect technology for a perfect blend no matter the container size.
Explorian: 48 oz stainless steel container, 48 oz Aer disc container, 48 oz container, 32 oz container, 32 oz dried grains container
Ascent: 48 oz stainless steel container, 48 oz Aer disc container, 48 oz container, 32 oz container, 32 oz dried grains container, low profile 64 oz container with self-detect, 48 oz dry grains container with self-detect
All of the Vitamix models are expensive, there is no getting around that. The E310 model is the cheapest at $299.95. The A2300 and A2500 are $449.95, the A3300 is $549.95 and the A3500 is $599.95.
The Ascent models, being newer, have more advanced sound reducing technology. This means that this range is significantly quieter when in operation than the Explorian range.
The app is compatible with all smartphones. It has 17 preprogrammed blending functions for a wide range of purposes. The app also offers suggestions for over 500 different recipes.
The recipes can be filtered according to dietary requirements, making it even easier. It will also offer you suggestions based on the ingredients you have in your home.
The app comes with a built in Perfect Scale. This allows you to measure your ingredients directly in the container of the Vitamix blender.
The Vitamix then sends the information to the app so that you can accurately track the quantities that you are using. This feature also allows you to scale the volume properly, works out the serving size, and tracks the calorie content too.
The app can be used in conjunction with Apple Health to synch up with other fitness apps.
Do Vitamix blades get dull?
On new Vitamix blenders you will notice that the blades are actually already dull. They are used to pulverize the contents of the blender container rather than cutting it into smaller pieces.
Vitamix will replace and fix any problems with the blender free of charge provided you do not interfere with the mechanics of the machine.
Are Vitamix blenders dishwasher safe?
This depends on the model of blender that you have. The E310 is self-cleaning and most of the newer models are dishwasher safe.
A quick way to clean your Vitamix is to rinse the container halfway up with warm water and a few drops of liquid dish soap. Place the lid on and turn the machine to the 1st setting on the speed dial.
Slowly turn up the speed to the highest setting and blend for 30 seconds to a minute. Turn the dial back off and empty out the contents into the sink. Rinse out with clean water and allow it to drain. Clean the lid and then set aside to dry.
If your blender comes equipped with a self clean setting then switch it to this after filling with water and dish soap. The blender will automatically turn off once the clean cycle has ended. Rinse and dry as above.
To deep clean a Vitamix blender we advise allowing the water to sit in the container of the blender for an hour or two. Empty this out, refill with clean water and clean it as above.
How do you get smells out of a Vitamix?
Fill the container of the blender ¼ of the way up with warm water, then fill to halfway with white vinegar.
Blend for 30 seconds before rinsing. Clean with water and dish soap before rinsing again and allowing to dry.
If the smell lingers, allow the water and vinegar mixture to sit inside the blender overnight.