I love stuffed mushrooms caps but nobody in my family will eat them with me so I have to reserve them for ladies night or any other function where I will be around a variety of people. Mushrooms are truly one of those things that you love or hate, there is no in between.
I had my first stuffed mushroom caps a few years ago at a Christmas party and I have to admit I almost passed but thought what the heck. I have been hooked ever since! I would make a variety of stuffed mushroom caps weekly if I could get my family on board. As that doesn’t seem likely any time soon I guess I will just have to stick with finding a party to attend monthly to get me my fix!
Crowd Pleasing Stuffed Mushroom Caps Recipe
- 12 button mushrooms
- 4 oz Original Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 strips bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
- (1 tablespoon red wine - optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rinse each mushroom and dry with paper towels. Gently break off stems and finely chop.
- Covered with paper towel in microwave, cook 3 strips bacon (the 3rd is for you to eat while you cook) until lightly brown and crisp.
- Remove from microwave and set aside.
- In pan, add shallots and garlic and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and continue to cook, stirring regularly, for about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Optional – add in red wine and continue to cook, stirring regularly, until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and blue cheese. Fold in mushroom blend, crisp bacon bits and green onions in pan.
- Arrange mushroom caps gills down on a baking sheet and lightly smear with olive oil.
- Bake in a 400 F oven for about 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms start to leak.
- Turn mushroom caps to cavity side up and using a small spoon, fill with cheese mixture.
- Return to oven and bake at 400 F for another 5 to 6 minutes or until stuffing is heated through and tops are golden brown.
Do you have a favorite stuffed mushroom caps recipe? Have you ever had stuffed mushroom caps? Mushroom lovers or haters in your house?
Looking for more recipes with mushrooms or finger food recipes?