Rice krispie treats are an iconic American classic and I have taken it to the next level with these easy Cherry Rice Krispie Treats. They don’t take anymore time to prepare than the originals but sure do step up the flavor.
One reason to love making rice krispie treats besides their addictive flavor is that they are are so simple to make with the kids. Really my oldest is able to use a sharp knife efficiently so he can chop the cherries for me. My youngest is a pro at measuring simple things like this and that only leaves me with needing to mix the ingredients together. The boys can grease the pan for me, melt the marshmallows and do all the measuring. Now if only I could figure out how to get them to do all of the cleanup…
Cherry Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Butter
- 2 cups Mini Marshmallows
- 3 cups Rice Crispy Cereal
- ½ cup Dried Cherries
- In a large bowl, microwave the butter and the marshmallows together for about 2 minutes until the marshmallows are soft and puffed.
- While that is in the microwave, chop the dried cherries into large pieces.
- Remove the marshmallows from the microwave, gently stir in the cereal and the cherry pieces until everything has been coated with the marshmallow.
- Pat the mixture into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Cool and cut into squares to serve. Best if eaten within a day or two of making.
Kellogg’s had created Rice Crispy cereal in 1928 and it was fine as far as cereals go, but in 1939, when Mildred and her friend Malitta needed an idea to help their Campfire Girls raise money, they put their heads together and a new delicious food was invented. It was Rice Krispie Treats! ~ Twisted Candy