Mornings around here are not often rushed but I have learned that if I want to sleep in, I need to have something for the kids to eat for breakfast ready and ready early. The kids like to get up early and are self sufficient but I don’t want them eating cereal for breakfast just because I’m trying to sleep in past 6 in the morning. It’s mornings like that these Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Muffin Recipe come in handy!
I can make up a large batch of these muffins on the weekends and freeze the leftovers. Before I head into bed at night I can grab a couple out from the freezer and the kids know in the morning that those are the start to their breakfast. I often will pair these with a yogurt for the kids and mom can snag a couple extra hours of much needed shut eye!
Not only is this Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Muffin Recipe perfect for getting me a couple extra hours of sleep but on the mornings when we do need to rush out of the house I am ready. If you forget to lay them out on the counter in the evening a few seconds in the microwave and your good to go. These muffins are delicious served warm with a dollop of butter. My mouth is watering for one right now!
Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Muffins
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and shredded apples (3 medium)
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup shredded coconut (optional)
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Add apples, carrots, raisins, walnuts and coconut. Mix well.
- Add oil, milk, vanilla and eggs. Stir just until moistened.
- Fill muffin cups evenly.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately remove from pans.