With a newborn in your life, the last thing you want to be worrying about is trying to whip up something for the baby’s dinner between nap time and nappy changes.
Having a baby food steamer and blender is the perfect piece of feeding equipment that will make life as a parent a little easier, as it’s ideal for making your favorite baby recipes.
The transition from milk to solid foods is a long process, and it’s one that requires lots of mashing, crushing, blending, and pureeing – try doing all that by hand whilst holding a baby in the other!
By doing the hard part for you, baby food steamers and blenders mean all you need to think about is the ingredients you’re putting into this miracle-working machine.
There’s a pretty big market for this type of convenience, with more and more people valuing user-friendly interfaces and simple set-ups from the things they use in their day-to-day lives.
When there’s so much to choose from, it can get difficult to know what type of things you should be looking over, so we’ve put together a buyer’s guide that will tell you everything you need to know. We’ve also reviewed five of the best options currently available on Amazon.
In a hurry to get lunch ready for your hangry baby? Check out our top pick to see what we value the most in a baby food steamer and blender. The EVLA Baby Food Maker is one you won’t want to miss out on!
Best Baby Food Steamers and Blenders
Our top pick is a baby food steamer and blender that can do it all. It steams, blends, reheats, and defrosts, and it can even self clean itself and sanitize the bowl in readiness for the next time you come to use it. It’s super convenient and the stirring cup is dishwasher safe.
With a wide opening at the top, it’s easy to clean the rest of the machine and there’s less chance of food build-up or mold growing in places that are harder to reach. You’ll be able to easily turn solid food like vegetables, fruit, and meat into a pureed consistency for your baby.
The touchscreen interface is clear and easy to use and it adds to the modern look of this baby food and steam blender. It’ll look great in any kitchen and the white color will match any style you already have in your kitchen, so it’s quite versatile in this respect.
Most importantly, you can have peace of mind knowing that you can trust this family brand, owned by parents who understand the worry a parent feels regarding their child’s safety.
The materials used in the manufacturing of the baby food maker are free from all nasty toxins such as BPA, phthalate, and lead.
- Multi-functional beyond steaming and blending
- Self-cleaning and sterilization option
- Sleek, compact design that doesn’t take up too much space
- The large water tank is easy to clean thanks to a wide opening
- Easy to use touchscreen user interface
- Reasonably priced
- The stirring cup is dishwasher safe and the rest of it is easy to clean
- The stirring cup can become stained over time
- create fresh, healthy, homemade baby food with the touch of a button … forget juggling multiple pots and pans while your precious bundle of joy is screaming in the corner! our multi-function baby food processor allows you to steam, blend, reheat and defrost … it even sanitizes and self cleans!
- super easy to clean. our self cleaning cycle is the perfect time saver for busy moms. just add some clean water and the machine does the rest! for any stubborn stains, the stirring cup is dishwasher safe. unlike our competitors who’s water tanks often harbour mold, ours has wide opening making it very easy to clean
- know exactly what you are feeding your little one - our unique steaming cycle locks in nutrients, flavors and vitamins ensuring your little one benefits from tasty and healthy homemade food. modern touch screen control panel allows you to easily select the precise meal consistency from purees to solid. suitable for all vegetables, fruit, meat, chicken and fish
- stylish and modern design. our premium baby food maker fits perfect within any kitchen interior with style. compact and sleek design makes it the ideal addition to your kitchen worktop but more importantly … less clutter! it also makes the perfect premium baby shower gift
- a family brand you can always trust. we are parents ourselves and would never compromise on safety. our baby food maker doesn’t contains any nasties bpa, phthalate and lead free.
Next up we have the BEABA Babycook steam cooker and blender, which is another multi-functional choice as it has a 4 in 1 system.
You can use it for a number of things, including the preparation of vegetables, fruits, meat, and fish, whether it’s raw or pre-cooked. It’s perfect for your baby and toddler alike if you’re brave enough to have two under two!
It’s slightly more expensive than our top pick and that’s without the self-sanitation feature, but it’s one of the easiest products to use thanks to the innovative one-handed operation that means you can be whipping up a batch of puree whilst holding your baby in the other.
With the touch of a button, you can open and close the food maker, and it will automatically switch off and notify you via a timer alert when it’s finished its task.
There is also a patented steam heating system and it’s designed to lock in as many of the food’s nutrients as possible. It does everything you need it to and it does it fast, so when you’re rushing to squeeze in a last-minute feed it won’t let you down.
It has a large capacity of 4.5 cups which is great for batch cooking and it comes with a couple of free accessories. It’s BPA, lead, and phthalate-free so it’s completely safe to use for food purposes; just remember to wash it out thoroughly before its first use, and thoroughly dry it after cleaning or you might end up with mold growing.
- Super convenient one-handed, one-touch operation
- Simple and easy to use settings control panel
- A couple of free accessories included
- Patented steam heating system
- Large 4.5 cups capacity
- BPA, lead, and phthalate-free
- Slightly more expensive option
- No self-cleaning or sanitizer function
- Hard to dry the water tank completely which can lead to mold
- Babycook is designed to function only with a 120V earthed socket
- Prepare fruits, vegetables, meat or fish from raw to any stage baby and toddler food in 15 minutes
- A large 4.7 cup bowl with graduation markings
- Auto-shut off, timer sounds when done
- Make any stage baby or toddler food from purees to solids
The Baby Brezza glass baby food maker is the next option we’re going to review, and unless it’s on sale, it’s another fairly expensive choice. You’ll be able to prepare your baby’s food in as little as 10 minutes, so there’ll be no more grumpy grizzling why they wait.
It automatically steams and blends, and it does it in one step for the ultimate ease and convenience. Just a push of the button will have this baby food maker doing exactly what you want, and you won’t even need to transfer the food once it’s cooked.
However, it doesn’t do much beyond this, as it’s one of the options that stay true to its core functionality. With three settings, you can use it to blend only, steam only, or automatically blend after steaming.
Unlike many of the other baby food steamer and blender options we looked at, the Baby Brezzer food maker features a glass bowl and it has a 4-cup capacity which means you’ll be able to cook in batches and have meals ready for next time.
It’s super easy to use and just as easy to clean thanks to the dishwasher-safe bowl and blade, and the steam tank can be opened so you won’t need to miss a spot when you’re wiping the inside of the tank.
The water tank is also removable so you can fill it up at the sink, and there’s a 1-year limited warranty that protects you against faults within the first year.
- Durable glass bowl with large 4-cup capacity
- Easy to use LCD control panel
- Super easy to clean
- Great for batch cooking
- Removeable water tank so you can refill it at the tap
- You can prepare food quickly in as little as 10 minutes
- The bowl and blade are dishwasher-safe
- Limited 1-year warranty
- Limited functionality compared to other options we’ve considered
- Slightly more expensive
- AUTOMATICALLY STEAMS AND BLENDS IN 1 STEP: Steam and automatically blend foods with the push of a button in one bowl. No transfer after cooking required
- Makes Homemade Baby Food in as Little as 10 Minutes ; BPA-FREE ; LCD control panel
- Only Food Maker with a Glass Bowl; Large 4 Cup Capacity.Wattage Output: 220 watts per sec
- EASY TO CLEAN: Steam tank can be opened completely for easy cleaning. Bowl and blade are dishwasher-safe
- EASY TO USE: Includes easy to use control panel and removable water tank for easy filling
If you’re looking for a slightly more affordable option, then the Homia baby food maker still has a lot to offer and it’s absolutely packed with useful features.
It’s an 8-in-1 processor that’s perfect for pureeing both baby and toddler foods and it can disinfect itself for the ultimate food safety for your baby. Seriously, is there anything it can’t do?
It’s designed with a smart touch LCD panel user interface and it supposedly offers intuitive touch control for smoother operation and easier handling.
The stainless steel blade is another useful feature as it can be removed when you’re cleaning up so you’ll have better reach, and the stirring cup and pyramid baskets are dishwasher safe for your convenience.
You can keep an eye on your water level so you’ll know whenever you need to top up, and there’s even a descaler indicator which means you’re better able to control the water levels.
Included with the purchase are the food maker itself, three steaming baskets, a heat insulation cover, a splash cover, a pair of baby bottle tongs, a recipe book, a user manual, and a gift box.
There is an automatic shut-off function that will kick in when the food has finished being prepared, and it’s super safe thanks to the absence of any harmful ingredients or toxins in the materials that it was manufactured with.
- 8-in-1 multi-functional machine
- Can self-clean and disinfect itself
- Smart touch LCD display screen
- Easy to use settings
- Removable stainless steel blade makes cleaning easier
- The stirring cup and three storage baskets are dishwasher safe
- Automatic shut-off safety feature
- A few bonus accessories included
- Reasonably priced
- Baskets are on the smaller side and can’t hold large amounts of food
- 8 IN 1 Steam, Sterilize, Cook, Juice, Warm, Defrost, Puree and Chop - All You Require From a Food Processor for Babies. A 3 tier basket design allows you to cook 3 separate meals at once
- EASY TO USE Intuitive Touch Control Panel Interface is All You Need to Prepare Healthy and Safe Food for Your Baby - Simply Press One Button to Steam the Food and Then Press Another Button to Chop it. Baby Food Maker Does All That With Ease
- SAFETY FIRST Stirring Cup is Made of Tritan Plastic, Which is BPA, Phthalate and Lead Free, ETL Safty Certification (UL982 and UL1026 Standards for Safety)
- EASY TO CLEAN Stirring Cup is Dishwasher Safe. Don’t Waste Your Precious Time Cleaning the Device When You Can Spend it With Your Family
- STYLISH This Cute Baby Food Processor / Steamer / Blender / Chopper Fits any Kitchen Interior with Style. It’s the Perfect Time Saver for Moms to Be with their Families. Compatible with 110V power network ONLY.
Last but not least, we looked at the Babymoov Duo Meal Station food maker. With 6 primary functions, including steam cooking, multi-speed blending, pureeing, warming, defrosting, and sterilizing (which has been approved by a professional nutritionist), it can perform a range of tasks to suit whatever it is you need.
It’s one of the larger options on our list which is perfect for cooking your baby food in batches, as you’ll have a week’s worth of food from just one use. It’s also one of the most expensive options we’ve included, but if you have the money to spend it’s worth it.
The LCD display screen is clear and easy to use and it delivers audio alerts when in use so you’ll know what it’s doing at all times.
The Duo Meal Station is fully programmable so you can tailor the settings to suit your specific needs, and there are three preset speeds to choose from as well should you prefer to use these.
You can cook with peace of mind knowing that the equipment you’re using is free from the likes of BPA, lead, and phthalate which could all be harmful to your baby.
- 2 steamer baskets included
- 3 speed blender options which can be programmed for personalized settings
- Preserves natural vitamins, nutrients, and the flavor of food while it’s cooking
- Large capacity which is great for batch cooking
- Easy to use LCD display screen
- Space-saving design
- BPA, lead, and phthalate-free
- Expensive option
- MAKE HEALTHY DELICIOUS FOOD 2 steamer baskets, 3 speed blender easily programmable for various cook times, allows for preservation of nutrients, vitamins and the natural flavor of the foods
- LARGE CAPACITY SAVES TIME Make up to one week of fresh and nutritious food in just minutes thanks to its large steaming bowl and blender capacity
- The product features power of the steaming unit 110V / 500W with power of the blending unit : 110V / 3 speeds and features 9oz capacity
- EASY TO USE The LCD display and audio alerts make operating the Duo Meal Station a breeze. It is fully programmable and alerts you when done.
- 6-IN-1 DESIGN SAVES SPACE All-in-one design that cooks, blends, warms and defrosts your food and can be used as a bottle warmer/sterilizer to reduce need for separate appliances and save space ; EASY TO CLEAN: It's easy to clean and components are dishwasher safe. It's also BPA, lead and phthalate free
No more juggling multiple pots and pans, because these clever, useful pieces of feeding equipment are here to help by performing more than just one function.
As well as steaming and blending, the two functions that make a product qualify for this article, some of the options we’ve included will be packed with features beyond that for even more convenience.
For example, you might also find these types of machines are equipped with additional functions such as sterilizing, juicing, warming, defrosting, or chopping, which can combine the needs of your baby’s food with some of your own.
Safety features are another important consideration, and some of the best options will have an automatic shut-off feature that turns the machine off when it’s finished, or at the very least certain models will set off a timer when the food has finished being prepared.
Ease of Use
Having all these different features and functions at your disposal is great, but only if you actually know how to use them without accidentally pushing a button you didn’t mean to.
How easy the user-interface is to get to grips with will make a big difference when you’re sleep-deprived and you can barely tell what day of the week it is.
Also, think about how easy it will be to clean, and if the blades will be an obstacle or if it can all be dismantled and reassembled afterward to make it easier for cleaning.
A simpler product will have fewer parts so there is automatically less to clean. Some parts may even be dishwasher safe which will mean there’s less for you to do, and blenders with a wide-top opening are typically easier to wipe down as you can get right inside with a sponge.
How much space is this thing going to take up on your kitchen counter? Do you have enough storage room to house it in one of your cupboards, or will it be kept permanently out on display while you’re weaning your baby?
Everyone knows that babies come with all sorts of clutter, so you’ll probably want to make space-saving cuts wherever possible.
On the other hand, pureed baby food can be batch cooked and then frozen for up to one month, so it may be worth sizing up to a bowl capacity that’s slightly larger than you think you need so you can whip up a few batches at once and have readily prepared baby food available for when you don’t have the time or energy.
A smaller bowl means more frequent use and consequently more frequent cleaning, so depending on what you can afford to give up, both monetarily and in terms of space, this is a choice that will come down to your specific preferences and needs.
Safety of Materials
Of course, keeping our babies safe and healthy is far more important than any type of convenience. Reputable, trusted manufacturers are going to be your best bet for using the highest quality materials that are safe to use for food that will be consumed by your child.
The key things to look out for is that they are BPA, BPS, Phthalate, and lead-free as these are all harmful toxins that could potentially be poisonous or cause your baby to become unwell.
The leading brands will also follow strict quality control guidelines and will ensure that their products are being manufactured under the safest of conditions.
If you’ve just put the baby down for a nap, the last thing you want to do is wake them back up by putting on the blender for it to violently whir into action as it starts to smash up the ingredients.
The majority of baby food and steamer blenders will operate at reasonable volumes, but if you opt for a poor-quality product then you may find it can be quite disruptive.
The blenders that are more powerful are also likely to be noisier, which is something you may want to consider.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I make my own baby food or can I buy it from the store?
These days, the baby food found in stores is of incredibly high quality and they contain much fewer processed ingredients than they perhaps did in the past.
The majority of well-known brands have excellent track records, so choosing to feed your baby using store-bought pureed food is absolutely fine, although it’ll be more expensive than making it yourself.
Can you puree in a blender?
Of course! That’s the whole point of having a blender, so it would make sense that you can puree foods using one.
Pretty much all wet or soft foods can be blended up smoothly into a pureed paste, and you can loosen it as needed by adding water.
Can you put dry ingredients in a blender?
It’s recommended that you use at least a few wet ingredients or include a liquid element if you’re using mostly dry ingredients, but if you follow these precautions, then yes, you should have no problems using dry ingredients in a blender.
Without the wetter counterparts, your mixture will end up too thick and it will stick to the sides rather than blending smoothly.