Breakfast on the weekends is a big deal in our house and has become a bigger deal since both of the boys started school. Living on a farm, we are all together for most meals. However, it seems like during the week breakfast is rushed so much that we tend to reach for cold cereal, instant oatmeal, or toast and yogurt. When the weekend hits we can make things a bit more fancy.
Several years ago, I made pancakes from scratch even though my husband said that he didn’t really care for them. That was before he knew that you could actually have peanut butter on them or add additions to them. Growing up they had plain pancakes with plain syrup only. Nothing fancy and it never varied.
My experience growing up with pancakes? Well my dad made them and you never knew what you were going to get! Word of advice…cajun pancakes are terrible! Take my word for it!
Homemade pancakes have become a staple in our house these days but it’s nice to have a few different recipes to mix it up with. Stuffed French Toast Roll-ups are for sure a favorite for the kids. They are handheld which does tend to keep that syrup mess contained. Leftovers serve well cold in a lunch box and the flavor combinations are endless.
Below, you will notice I use cherries, however homemade strawberry sauce or raspberry jam is generally the favorite. Don’t forget about the pie fillings that make for a sweet Sunday morning filling.
With all the summer fruits available this time of year the possibilities truly are endless! A few other filling choices? Mini chocolate chips, nutella, sliced bananas, raspberries, no-bake cheesecake filling and of course to really make a decadent Sunday morning breakfast or brunch treat you can top with homemade whip cream!
Stuffed French Toast Roll-Ups
- 8-10 slices soft bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Roll-up Filling - if using cream cheese you will need it softened
- Butter for greasing the pan
- In a bowl beat whisk the eggs and milk.
- In a sepearet bowl mix the sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Cut the crusts off the bread.
- With a rolling pin roll out the bread to make it nice and flat.
- Spread softened cream cheese on the bread.
- Place a teaspoon or 2 of your chosen filling an inch from one end of the bread spread out in a strip. Repeat on each piece of bread.
- Roll each one and set aside.
- Over a medium heat melt butter in a frying pan.
- Add the rolls to the egg mixture turning to coat on all sides then place them in the pan seam side down.
- Cook until golden brown, turning them to brown on all sides.
- Remove from pan and roll into cinnamon and sugar mix.
- Serve with syrup or topped with whip cream.
- Cherries, homemade strawberry sauce, any flavor jam, canned pie fillings, diced fresh fruits, mini chocolate chips, nutella, sliced bananas, raspberries, no-bake cheesecake filling and of course to really make a decadent Sunday morning breakfast or brunch treat you can top with homemade whip cream!
What flavor combination will you use for your Stuffed French Toast Roll-ups?
Hundreds of these recipes can be found but it appears that Cooking Thumb has the original of this recipe.