Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup is a classic meal that everyone loves. I, especially, love that kids will eat broccoli easily when in this delicious soup. This recipe is fast, simple, and tasty. Just what I and every other mom out there needs on a busy weeknight.
Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
I confess that soup is a weakness of mine. From our creamy Macaroni and Cheese Soup to the classic upscale Slow Cooker Guinness French Onion Soup, I am always a fan. I love being able to sit down to a warm bowl of soup after a long day, and even more love that this broccoli soup is a perfect option for lunches. With such a simple recipe, this is going to be a favorite for your family.
I love the idea of using a dutch oven to make this recipe. It is actually one of my favorite kitchen tools. A dutch oven is a great beautiful and functional pot for use on the stovetop, in the oven, and straight to the table. Of course, I am going to want fewer dishes. So, making this broccoli soup in a pretty dutch oven, then sitting in the oven on warm until dinner time is ideal. I can bring it directly to the table to serve easily.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ C. butter
- ⅓ C. flour
- 4 C. whole milk
- 3 C. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 C. broccoli florets
- 1-2 C. chicken or vegetable broth
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the onion until translucent 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the ⅓ cup of flour and stir while the mixture is thickening.
- Slowly add in the 4 cups of whole milk and let simmer.
- Add in the broccoli florets and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cheese and allow it to melt.
- Puree ½ of the soup in a food processor or blender. I like using a potato masher to keep things chunky and simple.
- Add in the broth until the soup has reached your desired thickness.
Let’s face it we are all busy and one pot or pan meals make dinner clean up a cinch!