Do you love cookies and cupcakes? Check out this chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes recipe that is the perfect combination of flavors to satisfy your cravings. A little moist cake, with sweetened cookie dough and of course the delicious chocolate chips make these chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes a favorite dessert option for many.
This basic cupcake recipe is simple to follow and will give you the moist and flavorful cupcake you want, without using a boxed mix. With just a few ingredients and steps, it’s really a simple way to make a cupcake base that has great flavors and is easy to adapt for recipes like this one.
If you are like me and want to cut back on steps, simply grab your favorite packaged cookie dough in the refrigerated section instead of making homemade cookie dough. This gives you less work, and allows you to test out a few different cookie doughs. Make some with just chocolate chip cookie dough, and others with peanut butter chips or even the seasonal flavors. This will help give your cupcakes a bit of extra pep, and be a fun and tasty cupcake everyone will love.
Serve your chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes alongside a cup of coffee or a tall glass of milk for a great snack, dessert or special treat!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
- ½ C unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ baking soda
- ¾ C buttermilk
- 1½ C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough **purchased or homemade
- 1 C unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ C cocoa powder
- 3 C powder sugar
- ¾ C heavy cream
- Bag of Mini Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Beat butter on high for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract to the butter and beat until well combined.
- Add egg whites, one at a time, mixing after each.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each.
- Add ⅓ C flour mixture to the wet mixture followed by adding ⅓ C of the buttermilk; add ⅓ C flour mixture again then add ⅓ C buttermilk mix on low speed, add ⅓ C of flour and add the rest of ⅓ C of buttermilk mix in low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Scoop "some" of the dough into the lined cupcake tins. (About ½ full).
- Take 1 TBSP of chocolate chip cookie dough and push the dough to the bottom of the lined cupcake tin... Fill in the rest of the cupcake tin with the cupcake batter.
- The batter should reach ⅔rds of the top of the lined cupcake holders.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack until fully cooled.
- Beat the softened butter on its own until smooth.
- Add cocoa and powder sugar alternately with heavy cream into the creamed butter until it becomes a smooth and thick texture.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more heavy cream, if too thin, add more powder sugar.
- Scoop into a pastry bag with a large frosting tip and frost the cupcakes working from the outside edge of the cupcake working in a circle to the center of the cupcake.
- Top with ½ handful of mini chocolate chips on top of the frosted cupcake.
You might enjoy these other homemade cupcake recipes as well!